If you are interested in exploring career opportunities at MKM, please complete our webform to include your cover letter, resume, and portfolio if applicable.
Director of Business Development
Full-time, Exempt FLSA Status
MKM architecture + design (MKM) is seeking a Director of Business Development to lead the firm’s effort to build and maintain meaningful relationships with existing and potential clients. The primary responsibility of this position is to grow the firm’s geographic reach within key market sectors. As a member of the firm’s leadership team, the Director of Business Development will be responsible for creating and executing the business development strategy that results in effective firm growth within the defined geographic market.
Advocates Firm’s Market Position:
- Increases the firm’s visibility and value position within established target markets (acute care, outpatient care, senior living, and community health).
- Supports firm leadership in business development pursuits (e.g., market research, authoring proposals, interview preparation).
- Performs research to find future opportunities, reviews and analyzes information, and promotes firm differentiators to target clients (e.g., market trends, service lines).
Manages Strategic Marketing Growth:
- Develops and maintains strategic business development plan with defined metrics for success
(including monthly updates to firm leadership – opportunity reports, KPIs/Scorecard, etc.).
- Monitors, measures, and manages brand equity and marketplace performance.
- Develops growth targets, business objectives, and brand strategies that align with firm mission and vision (with specific focus on growth within Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin).
Manages Client Engagement Strategies:
- Builds relationships with potential clients by increasing brand awareness, value, and accessibility to firm leaders.
- Analyzes client, project, and opportunity information in client management system.
- Manages firm presence at regional and national conferences and trade shows.
- Validates the development of firm marketing materials (e.g., press releases, marketing materials, photo shoots, website, e-blasts, social media) working closely with the Marketing Manager.
- Develops annual strategic Business Development plans for each target market, including budget for conferences, trade shows, networking, etc.
- Oversees and implements full sales process including market research, needs analysis, capture plans, proposal development and submittal, sales pitch, interview prep, etc.
- Establishes and tracks scorecard KPIs on monthly basis. Provides quarterly summary to leadership.
- Forecasts new client opportunities and updates monthly opportunity report to leadership.
- Forms and nurtures business relationships with owners and industry connectors.
- Actively engages in the community, industry, and participates in local, regional, and national A/E/C and related economic events.
- Researches, tracks, and provides competitive intelligence and information to build pipeline and new “connector” relationships.
- Authors articles and/or white papers and uses social media to advance our brand.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, sales, communications, or related field.
- 5+ years of business development, entrepreneurial/sales, and/or marketing experience in the professional services field or A/E/C industry.
- Experience with healthcare target sector focus.
- Proven success in Business Development, Sales, Strategic Planning, and demonstrated experience in critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivated, ability to work well independently and within a team to achieve objectives in a timely manner.
- Must be forward thinking, agile, and achieve outcomes that meet or exceed agreed upon KPI’s.
- Exposure and understanding of social media marketing and brand management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; comfortable making presentations, writing white papers and articles, assisting with interview prep, reviewing proposals, etc.
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial environment and work remotely (as needed).
- Ability and willingness to travel as necessary to support firm strategies and sector goals (especially within Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience in public speaking and publications (preferred).
While MKM is based in downtown Fort Wayne, the firm is currently considering other locations for satellite offices. As part of this growth strategy, successful applicants will be permitted to work remotely if not residing within northeast Indiana. Further discussion regarding this arrangement will be discussed during the interview process.
We are looking for a good fit. Salary negotiations will be competitive and commensurate with experience. All fulltime employees receive benefits and a list detailing these can be made available upon request. Background checks will be performed on all successful candidates. Qualified candidates should submit, by webform on the Careers page.